Tuesday, March 3, 2015

First Bowden extruder, direct drive, MK8 gear

After checking various direct drive extruders on Thingiverse, I finally made up my mind to work on the original design by Dominik Scholz, this one: Thingiverse

Imho it has the following qualities:
  • Open Source and written in OpenSCAD.
  • Excellent quality source code.
  • Parametric.
  • Simple.
  • Uses MK8 gear.
  • Uses easy to find hardware (608ZZ ball bearing, single small spring, readily available M3 screws, etc).
  • Easy and quick to print.
  • Minimum amount of material.
I had to make a few changes to the original design though, because my MK8 gear is slightly larger, and also my pressfit Bowden connector is much larger than the one Dominik is using. The slightly larger MK8 gear was easy to accommodate in the original source code, but for the much larger Bowden connector I had to add an entire block. This is the result:


Next step of course is to test it in actual use, but I am not there quite yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment