Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Effector assembly

I printed another, more basic Kossel mini effector of my own design, this is a simple remix of a design by Tobias Kornmayer I found on Thingiverse which thankfully was published with its OpenSCAD source code.


Note that all the various Kossel mini effector designs available on Thingiverse and elsewhere are directly derived from Johann C. Rocholl's original OpenSCAD source released under the GPLV3 (https://github.com/jcrocholl/kossel/blob/master/LICENSE), which requires that any modifications be released with their source code. Unfortunately, many are released just as STL files, hence not complying with the GPLV3 license. When people don't respect and comply with the GPL, we as a community all stand to lose. I intend to write a post regarding these issues later, where I'll explain my point of view in more detail. In the meantime, I have published my effector design remix on Thingiverse with proper attribution, source code and under the GPLV3 license.

Back to the effector itself, it is very thin and lightweight and prints in minutes, not hours:


I then assembled the rods, the effector and the carriages to see how all this fits:


This is starting to look like something!


As far as I can tell, the rods are parallel and 40mm apart, that distance being determined by the Kossel Mini effector, which is what I wanted to achieve when I redesigned the Delta-Pi carriages:


The next step is to install the three GT2 belts and check that they don't rub against any part.

No comments:

Post a Comment