Monday, March 2, 2015

An easy to print drill and alignment jig for the Delta Steel

This weekend I managed to design, print and use a very simple drill and alignment jig for the delta Steel. Obviously, if you are having the base and top MDF boards CNC machined or laser-cut, you don't need this, but in my case, I am drilling these boards manually and so I designed this jig to help align the holes properly. Without any further ado, here is the jig:


The different colors in the OpenSCAD render above correspond to different elements:
  • Yellow for the bottom MDF board holes.
  • Blue for the PCB heatbed.
  • Green for the RAMPS holder (note that I am using the usual self-threading wood screws for the RAMPS holder so these are just used to mark the place where the screws go, on the underside of the bottom board).
  • Red are just distance checking lines.
  • Purple is for the top MDF board holes that slightly differ from the bottom ones.
Well, it doesn't look like much in OpenSCAD but it proved really useful once I had printed it:


I can't print the whole jig on my P3Steel because its size exceeds the size of the MK2B heatbed, but it's easy to print in parts. The jig is just 1mm thick (adjustable in the OpenSCAD source) so it prints very quickly with a minimum amount of material.

I uploaded the OpenSCAD source and STL files for the two partial prints of the jig to Thingiverse. The OpenSCAD source can easily be modified to accommodate different printer designs. As coded right now the jig can be used for both the Delta Steel and the original Delta-Pi.

So at this stage I have drilled all the holes for the bottom and top MDF boards and I am ready to begin assembling my Delta Steel prototype.

No comments:

Post a Comment