Friday, March 27, 2015

Assembling the Delta Steel - bottom plate, electronics and steppers. Also some news about the firmware.

Progress on the Delta Steel prototype has been slow but steady these days. I have been working on installing and testing the electronics and the firmware. Here is how the underside of the bottom plate stands now:


The 17HS8401 NEMA 17 steppers come from China, these are 48mm long and are supposed to provide 48 N·cm holding torque at their maximum rated current of 1.8A. I adjusted the DRV8825 drivers for 1.4A peak current per coil or approximately 1A rms for both coils, that should be more than adequate for the Delta Steel. I always recommend the use of a fan blowing some cool air over the electronics, this one is a 12V 80mm LED fan. The three female connectors at the top of the picture correspond to their male counterparts from the ATX power supply.

Regarding the firmware, I have found a patch that allowed me to compile the latest commit from Johann C. Rocholl's GitHub repository. More on that later or check my fork of Johann's Marlin repository.

No comments:

Post a Comment